Book Promo Banner
How to fully line sleeved Simplicity crop top?

How to fully line sleeved Simplicity crop top?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question How to fully line sleeved Simplicity crop top?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SalmaTalks
    Participant

I am a beginner sewist and I need help with a Simplicity S8868 Top pattern (image attached). I am using a brocade fabric and I would like to change the design from a zipped back to a low cut back with hooks and eyes (I know how to do this). I have attached a couple of images for illustrative purposes.

I have found your YouTube videos on how to line sleeves and a dress bodice. However, I then don’t know how to line ‘everything’ neatly for a fully enclosed top with 3/4 sleeves to stop frantic itching during wear. Do I sew two main pieces for main and lining then join, leaving a gap to bag out and then attach sleeves? But then, how do I stop everything sliding about? Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me out. S x

Attachments:
    professorpincushion
    Participant

that’s really cute! If it were me, I’d do it similar to the technique in the jacket lining tutorial in that I’d leave a gap in one of the lining side seams to turn out after sewing the bottom, center back seams and neckline. (I wouldn’t have the sleeves attached or worry about sewing the armholes.) After you flip it right side out, baste the armholes together. Then check out our sleeve lining video. Basically put the sleeve and sleeve lining right side together and sew the hem seam to finish the bottom edge. Flip right side out and press. At the sleeve cap of the sleeve lining, press under your 5/8″ seam allowance. Then sew the sleeve cap of the outer fabric to the correct armhole, keeping the sleeve lining out of the way for now, just like you would with a regular inset sleeve. Then on the inside, bring the sleeve lining cap through and cover the armhole seam allowance, hand sewing it into place. I know it sounds really confusing but basically it’s a combo between jacket lining video and sleeve lining video. Definitely do a test run on some cheap muslin so you can know exactly what to do before doing it on more expensive fabric. Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.