Book Promo Banner
How to determine amount of fabric for cording

How to determine amount of fabric for cording

Home Page Forums Ask A Question How to determine amount of fabric for cording

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

How do you determine how much fabric is needed to make cording? I have a large roll of fabric (recovering a chair) and I don’t know how large of a piece I should cut out to begin making my bias. I was thinking I would make a square 36″ x 36″. I suppose I could make it any size I want which would mean less sewing of strips together.
    Just not sure and wanted some advise before I started cutting into this huge roll. I will need to have a cord approximately 75″ long. Thank you.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I agree, the bigger the piece you start off with, the longer your strips will be, which means less strips and less sewing them together. It also depends on how wide you need your fabric to be to fit your cording. If you only need 75″, that’s just over 2 yards, which really isn’t that long. I think when I make my own bias tape, a couple of inches wide, I can get over 3 yards from fat quarter which is 18″ X 22″. But I did find this chart which gives you calculations for 1 yard of fabric and they suggest cutting strips 3 3/4″ width of 3/4″ cording. They’re saying out of a yard you can expect to get 10 yards out of 45″ width fabric, which is way more than you need. The chart I found is here: http://www.stonemountainfabric.com/sewing-help-bias-tape.htm

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.