Book Promo Banner
How to alter a mens tshirt into a girly tee/tank

How to alter a mens tshirt into a girly tee/tank

Home Page Forums Ask A Question How to alter a mens tshirt into a girly tee/tank

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi Professor! You are brilliant. I watched your basic tank top pattern and basic tank top assembly videos and I understand the process of using our measurements to create our own patterns. In that video, you used knit fabric that was purchased specifically for that project. My issue is that I have a ton of men’s band shirts that I would like to covert into tees, tanks, and eventually dresses when I become proficient. How would you recommend going about that.

Any advice you can give on step-by-step instructions, (or possibly you could refer me to a tutorial of yours on this that I may have overlooked) is greatly appreciated.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yes, you can definitely do that! 🙂 I don’t have any tutorials for this but I can recommend a book that really has a lot of creative ideas for transforming t-shirts. Generation T: 120 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt Have fun!
    http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Beyond-Fashion-Transform-T-shirt/dp/product-description/0761154108

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Kinda speechless right now because I literally ordered that book on Amazon a few days ago! I thought it was mostly geared toward hand sewing which was why I was looking for more of a step-by-step fabric marking, cutting, and machine sewing tutorial. But, I will trust that this book will get the job done, especially since you recommended it! Thanks so much. Love your work!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I had the first book and thought it was really creative. If it does ask you hand-sew, just substitute it for machine stitching and it’ll look a little neater. When I wanted to have some fun and do this myself, I grabbed a couple of tshirts from the local thriftstore so that I could do a quick run through and make sure I was going to like it before using my fave tshirts. Let me know how your tshirts come out 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I think what I’m struggling with the most as a beginner is getting the measurements right. I want to transform some shirts for myself as well as friends and we’re all different shapes and sizes so I think I need to play with sizing a little more. Definitely going to practice on some thrift bought throwaways first! THANKS 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I understand. And I’m sure you’re feeling the pressure that once you cut and if you screwed up, then that’s it, game over. It’s a pretty scary feeling which is why it’s a good idea to practice on tshirts that you don’t care about. If it’s a case of taking in the tshirt at the sides, put it on (inside out) and then pin the sides in for a comfortable fit. Take the t-shirt off, mark where the pins are and then baste on your marks. Retry the tshirt on and if you like it, do a regular stitch and then cut off the excess. It’s a safe way to experiment because you can always take out the basting stitches and try again until you get it right. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hahaha, yes, I’m putting WAY too much pressure on myself. I’m sewing a shirt for someone not performing surgery on them. Sigh… OK, Perfect, I will do just what you recommended. Thanks and have a great day!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.