Book Promo Banner
Hem joined with lining

Hem joined with lining

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Hem joined with lining

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am shortening a wedding gown with a train 4 inches and the hem is attached to the lining, no seam/threads shown on the outside. I’ve googled how to sew this type of hem to no avail. I found videos on a bubble hem, but this hem if flat, similar to a lined jacket and the hem is turned up only 1/2 inch. IIt looks like the lining holds the hem in place. The fabric is taffeta with beading on the bodice and down half of the skirt, so I can’t make any boo boo’s. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx, Cammie

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hmmmm….if you look at where the lining and dress meet, the seamline itself, can you see stitches, right in the middle? If so, that’s where you’ll have to remove the stitches so you can start the process to shorten it. If you want this nice clean look, then after you shorten it, I would hand sew the lining to the dress so it appears as neat as possible.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

yes I can see the seam line, so should I shorten the lining first by machine, then press the dress to the new length (no stitches) then hand sew the lining to the dress 1/2 inch from the fold/hem line, similar to the current hem? Or should I just press the lining too, not machine stitch it first before sewing the two together? I’ve watched you hand stitch a blind hem joining two seams using the crease/fold to hind the thread, will that work in this situation?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m so sorry, I didn’t see that you responded D: Yes, I would press each separately and then hand sew a slipstitch them together. I don’t think you need to machine stitch the lining first. I hope it works out for your dress

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.