Book Promo Banner
Gather

Gather

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Gather

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am working on a McCall’s pattern that is the most difficult I have ever used. It is a costume for a “super hero”. I am making that cape only, but, fortunately, the video on a narrow hem was just in time. I had just cut the fabric and was about to forge through. The cape had a narrow hem around the neck, the sides and on the base of the cape. The straight sides were not a problem at all, but those curves were a bear!

I am about to cut out the front and the straps (back) for the rest of the cape. I am using felt and I am to apply a paper backed webbing to it and then remove the paper and fuse it to another piece of felt the same color. Pray for me!!!!!! When I attach the “vest” and the “back” to the cape, I have to gather the “shoulder” so that it fits the vest and back. The vest and back are narrower than the cape. Will the videos on here cover this type of “gather”? I am in a real quandary. This pattern and I are at war. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I don’t know which pattern you’re doing so it is a little hard to imagine. Normally, with gathering, you do two rows of basting stitches, pull the basting stitches to gather to fit the section it needs to stitched to. Once you do a regular stitch or seam, post-gather, it’ll hold the gathered section together and the basting stitches can be removed. Depending on how thick the section is, with felt, it might be a little more difficult. I’m dying to see how your costume turns out. You can do it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.