Book Promo Banner
Fluffy gal trying to make Simp. 2172

Fluffy gal trying to make Simp. 2172

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Fluffy gal trying to make Simp. 2172

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi There! I watched your videos on the Simplicity Steampunk pattern 2172 and fell in love with everything about it! I am wanting to make this outfit for a ComicCon convention in October and am running into where everyone makes the mistake of pattern sizing (I am 48 bust, 53 hip) and purchased the R5 (14-22) I’m pretty sure I can work the skirt pattern no problem with the increased size, but my problem is the bustier. I actually made the main fabric part and it is too small. At the top of the corset is about a 2 in gap, and around my hips, the bottom part of the fabric is about a 9 inch gap =( I was thinking of adding an extra panel, cutting it in half to accommodate the zipper, but I am unsure of how I should proceed. I really love this outfit and I want to wear it, but am unsure how possible it will be now. =( Do you think adding some inches to the sides of each pattern piece would be better or would I still run into the shortage around the hips?

I appreciate any insight. Thanks again for making your tutorials!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

oh no! sorry to hear you’re having trouble. I’m trying to imagine what this looks like. So you’re saying the bustier is too small, right? If I were you and this is the case, I would go ahead and add two evenly sized panels, but I would add it to the back on either side of the zipper. Any alterations you make are going to be a pain in the neck if you’ve already completed the whole thing but at least you’re not doing this at the last minute. (I love people like you who prep for these early instead of trying to throw it together at the last minute.) So, as much as I would hate it, and I would hate it, I would take out the zipper, add two equal panels on each side, then start the process of putting it back together. Being in the back it won’t be as noticeable and if you ran out of fabric, consider using a contrasting piece and no one will know that you didn’t do it on purpose. Because you know you only need 2″ on top and 9″ on the bottom, use that information as your guide for cutting out your pieces (divided in half) and making sure you still have a perfect fit. Don’t forget to include your seam allowances…otherwise, you’ll find it too small again. Good luck! I’d love to see a pic and I’m sure your costume will be a hit at comic-con! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks for the quick response! I should have been more clear, I haven’t completed the entire bustier, just the first part of sewing the main fabric (Haven’t gotten to the lining part yet). I do actually have quite a bit of fabric left to make an extra panel and worst case, it was only a yard and my local fabric store (Hancock Fabrics ) is having a awesome sale off of the material I am using (40% off baby!) so even if I have to start over, I’m not out a bunch of money. Because of the huge gap in the back around my hips, do you think it would be easier to increase the pattern size using your tutorials or would it be trickier then what its worth? If you think the extra panel is easier, would one of the pattern pieces be sufficient? Thanks for your help, I definatly could use it! LOL

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

If you’re going to start over anyways, I would see about doing one side larger or using our pivot mother to add the increase. Instead of just pivoting the pieces with the side seams, It might be better to add a little to each of the pieces if you plan on adding 9″ to the bottom portion. I’m in the middle of moving so all my patterns are boxed away but, hopefully, using one size large means you won’t have to add as much for adjusting. I’d love to see how it turns out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.