Book Promo Banner
Fixing an uneven hem on Simplicity 2147 Tunic

Fixing an uneven hem on Simplicity 2147 Tunic

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Fixing an uneven hem on Simplicity 2147 Tunic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi! First of all, I’d like to say thank you for your awesome tutorials. In just the short time since I’ve found your vids on Youtube, and now this site, I’ve learned tons!! You have a gift for teaching…very clear and simple. Anyhow, as for my question…I started making the Simplicity 2147 dress but right before hemming, I tried it on, and realized it would look much better as a tunic. I cut off from the bottom (which I thought I did evenly) but after trying it on again after pinning up the new hem, it looks shorter in the front then in the back. I like the length of the front better but as much as I keep trying to even out the back with pins and pressing…it still looks off. Is there a trick to doing this right? As a side note, the dress/tunic also looks very poufy in the back, where the pleats are (kind of tent like). I used a light cordoroy in white but realized I had to line it with a satin lining to keep it from being see thru. Maybe it’s because of that. I’m not sure whether I should just scrap this project entirely or keep messing with it…

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

When it comes to straightening a hem, it’s really hard to do by yourself. I think the best solution would be to enlist a friend to help or use a dress form, if you have one. Only with the garment on can you see how really off it is and see it from all angles. You do not need to pin the same amount all the way around. For example, maybe you pin 1/2″ in the front but need to pin an 1″ in the back. This is fine. Just concentrate on pinning it so it’s even all the way around. After pinning, press it to create the crease. Then remove the pins and trim your hem on the inside so everything is the same. Going back to my original example, I would then trim the back 1″ hem to a 1/2″ hem so that everything is the same. Then you can finish the hem normally.
    As far as your other issue, it’s really hard to say what’s going on without looking at the garment. Have you tried wearing it with a belt to see if that improves the look. Don’t scrap it! Even if you hate it and know you wear never wear it, at least finish it because it’s still a learning experience. Now that you’ve gone through the process, your second one will be easier and better. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you, that makes sense. And you’re right, it always is a learning experience! I will volunteer my husband to help = ). Can I post my completed garment for feedback?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yes, we’d love to see it! 🙂 And don’t worry, we’ve all been there. I thought I could fix a hem with a little trim on one side, but then the other side was uneven. So, I had to keep trimming and trimming and ended up with a mini skirt in the end. ugh!!! oh well, the husband liked the skirt. haha!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

LOL!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.