Book Promo Banner
Fitting a Garment

Fitting a Garment

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Fitting a Garment

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, I am recently become obsessed with fitting. I do  not want to buy my own dress form  and want to be able to fit garments on myself without having to buy a mannequin or having an extra pair of hands to help me. Is possible for me to fit garments on myself with out having a dress form.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there! You do not need a dress form, but it’s definitely easier and recommended to have a friend help you.  When starting a new project, it’s a great idea to make a muslin of the project.  This means using a cheap fabric (similar in type to what you would use for the real thing).  You’re going to make your item, but it’s ok to just baste the pieces together.  If you’re just concerned with one aspect, say the bodice of the dress, you can just do that instead of making the whole dress.  Try the item on.  I like to try it on inside out so I can easily pin the seam allowance or dart areas.  Of course, you want to be standing tall and straight when you do this and not bending over or twisting around.  This is why it’s better to have a friend help.  You can try and do it yourself but there might be a lot of trial and error.  Just pin what you think, stand up straight and test the fit.  Any final changes you want to make, you adjust on your pattern piece.  Also, unless you’re working with a stretchy fabric, make sure you don’t make your garment too tight.  Sometimes there’s ease built into the pattern pieces so that it makes it comfortable to move about.  After you pin your adjustments, make sure you can still bend over, sit down and generally move comfortably.  Good luck!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

You can always turn the garment inside out and pin or mark with chalk.  You will have to stand up straight to then see the actual fit.  However, there are many videos on youtube on how to make your own dress form.   I am about to make one myself as I have recently lost so much weight.  I am larger on top than on bottom so a store bought form will not work for me. You basically be in your underware, place a large black trashbag over you (cutting a head and armholes).   Have someone else begin to cover the black plastic back with duct tape.  when going down below your rump, not making it too tight on thighs.  Wrap with duct tape a couple layers thick to make sturdy.  Then have your helper cut a seam up the back being careful not to cut you.  Slip out of the form, and then a row of tape up the seam.     Once you have sealed it up, stuff it with news paper or old rags or Tshirts. You can now place it on a wood stand, the bottom of an old office chair, an old hat rack.    And it is EXACTLY your body shape. Hope this gives you some alternatives.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.