Book Promo Banner
drafting a draped one-shoulder gown bodice pattern

drafting a draped one-shoulder gown bodice pattern

Home Page Forums Ask A Question drafting a draped one-shoulder gown bodice pattern

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello!
    I recently bought a pattern for a full-length evening gown, but the unflattering choker/halter neckline kind of turned me off, so I thought I would try to alter it a little. I’m going for a really drapey organza one-shoulder look with some gather at the shoulder seam, and was wondering if you could give me your opinion on a few things:
    – would it be better to use an existing top with a similar neckline for a guideline and then lengthen the shoulder seamline/waist circumference to achieve the gathered, drapey look I’m going for, or to try and drape it on my form? (basically flat drafting vs. draping I guess)
    – going from a choker/halter to a one-shoulder bodice messes up the existing pattern’s center back zipper notion, so do you think I should shift the zipper to a side seam? Will there be any problems with doing that, such as the back seam not centering correctly?

I’ve been sewing for a while, but this is really my first attempt at pattern drafting. Do you have any tips, or pitfalls I should avoid?
    Much appreciated.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hi ali , i think its better to drape the design of the neckline u prefer, because u have a better chances of manipulating the design of the neckline you want . rather than trying to fight up with the pattern . my other suggestion is to drape the entire look and the mannequin n do a pattern . so u can make changes easily . i also think you should do a side seam zip because its more neat and looks more elegant than a back zipper. . because to shift the back seam since is not centered correctly will give a bit of trouble . so i suggest a side seam zipper would be best hope this helps

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I agree with Darscell. I think it’s better to not use the pattern if it’s already that far off the mark from what you want. If you like the bottom portion of the dress you could find another pattern with a top you do like and then work on frankensteining the halves together. It’ll be easier than starting completely from scratch, if you want to stick to patterns. If you have a similar top that you want to copy, you can use it to create your own pattern or try draping and create a pattern from that. I also think it’s totally fine to shift a zipper to the side seam. For an elegant dress, I would suggest an invisible zipper.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I agree with the solution of getting a zip work done, as it would leave a margin to move your body making you comfortable. I am a women with an medium figure so have to alter the dresses from http://www.showpo.com/dresses-party-dress/formal-dresses.html always. But that is fine with me as I love the stuff.

sohfia lee
    Participant

The sizing was way off! I used the size charts and measurements and was accurately exactly a size large. I have even lost about 5 pounds since ordering this slimmer (it took about 5 days due to postage delays). Trying to put this on was like the old comedy films of tugging, pulling, and attempting to breathe once actually pulled up! I have a Miraclesuit “collection” and I use to shop through Miraclesuit Coupon Codes, which fits fine and is just a new design that I have no trouble wearing. Guess I will just go back to that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.