Book Promo Banner
Decorative stitching on wedding tulle

Decorative stitching on wedding tulle

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Decorative stitching on wedding tulle

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years, 4 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am making my daughter’s wedding veil and want to use a decorative scallop stitch on the edge. I have already practiced with the wash away stabilizer. I’m no t sure what thread to use though even after watching the Threads 101 video. Would you suggest using a silk thread (chance of water damage) or rayon? Would another thread be better? Thanks in advance for your advise. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I think it depends on how much you want it to stand out. rayon will provide more shine while silk will still be shiny but definitely more subtle. I prefer to use silk and maybe check with the thread manufacturer on the care instructions. I checked the gutermann site on their silk thread and it says it is cold washable so it should be fine even if it gets wet. good luck!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you for the advise. I guess that I will try both and see which one looks better.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I finally figured out how to do my veil. The wash away stabilizer left my stitches too loose on the netting resulting in mangled scallops.
    A paper like tear away stabilizer was just the trick. As the needle embroidered, it perforated the paper for easy cleanup and was thick enough to keep the stitches in place.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

it looks great! thanks for sharing 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.