Book Promo Banner
Cutting the fabric

Cutting the fabric

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Cutting the fabric

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I pin the pattern. I make sure it is as smooth as possible. I start to cut and inevitably my cutting misses and I cut over a line. I try to recover and stay just to the outside of the cutting line. Is there a trick to getting a good cut so that the raw edges to be sewn are even and wider or narrower than the other? I can sew a straight line and sew a curve, but I cannot cut right. HELP!!!!!!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there! I understand your frustration but realize that your cut is never going to be exactly perfect. Even when everything goes smoothly and I think I cut perfectly sometimes my seams still don’t match up exactly. It’s just something that takes practice and something to strive for. Just don’t be too hard on yourself. If you want to try something different, consider cutting your items with a rotary cutter. The smaller the blade the easier it’ll be to get around curvier areas so keep that in mind. It’s nice to also have a good size blade though for the straight edges because then you can cut faster. You might feel you have better control but just take it slow at first until you get used to it. I usually stick with scissors because I don’t really have a steady hand for free rotary cutting, but it might work out better for you.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I have two rotary cutters just like you have in the video. What was a nice surprise for me is the use of the cans to hold the pattern in place. I have a pattern that has several sizes on it, but I don’t want to cut it. I have ordered some paper like is used in a Dr. office on the exam table. I have also ordered a double headed tracing wheel, which is in cm. unfortunately, and I will pin the pattern onto the exam paper and make my own pattern sizes that way. And, I do have tracing paper. I also have the two tracing wheels like you show in the videos. I feel better about not having to be perfect when cutting. I am going to watch a video again. It is about marking the fabric.. Oh! I was wondering how helpful that French Curve is? I have a buddy who is XXXXXXXXXXX size. 🙂 I don’t think there is a pattern to fit him. I was thinking I could use it to help make a pattern for him based on a pattern I already have. I will watch that video, too. Thanks for the heads up on the cutting! I do appreciate it.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

If you’re going to make your own patterns, I definitely recommend getting a french curve. I always use it when making my armholes and neckline sections. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Starching your fabric (depending on what kind of fabric it is) can help keep it still which can lead to better cuts as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.