Book Promo Banner
Cutting out pattern pieces…

Cutting out pattern pieces…

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Cutting out pattern pieces…

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by professorpincushion.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Fingirl
    Participant

This is my first time ever sewing and I’m trying to figure out the directions for cutting out my pattern pieces.

My question is when I look at the direction for two of my pattern pieces the picture shows it is a single layer fabric with selvage on both sides (so I take that as the fabric is not folded). However when reading the print on the pattern piece its self it says to “cut one on fold”. So I’m confused on whether to fold the fabric or not. I’ve added two photos so hopefully you can understand what I’m saying.

Thanks so much for any help I can get!

Attachments:
    professorpincushion
    Participant

got it! Ok, well, there’s a couple of ways to do this. The pattern is just half of what the final fabric piece needs to be. So what you can do is cut out pattern piece #3 on a single layer of fabric and then use the remaining fabric to fold and cut out your 5 and 4 pieces. Or you can pin, for example 5, on the single layer fabric, trace around it using fabric marker or chalk, then unpin it, flip it and butt up the “fold” side next to the chalk line and repin. As long as you end up with 1 fabric piece that’s twice the size of pattern instead of two separate halves of the 5 pattern piece it’ll be fine. Hope that helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.