Book Promo Banner
Cutting Out My Fabric

Cutting Out My Fabric

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Cutting Out My Fabric

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

so when i am trying to cut my fabric from my pattern, i can never seem to get it to match up right. one side seems like i didnt get close enough to the pattern edge, or that i got too close and now its short. its difficult because iam cutting right on the edge when i am cutting it out at the time. i need help! how do i fix this problem so i dont have to go back and keep re cutting my pieces??

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Trust me, no matter how careful I am, my cut out pieces are never perfect either.  You just do the best you can.  It could be that you need to use more straight pins and place them closer to the edge.  If you’re using a silky or slippery fabric, try using my tissue paper trick that I discuss in the tutorial working with Silk and Silk-like fabrics.  Also, another option is investing in a rotary cutter and cutting mat.  That way the pieces are always lying flat and not getting shifted.  If you do use a rotary cutter to cut out your pieces, make sure that you get a small blade as those go around curves easier.  Hope this helps.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

i actually just got a rotary set last weekend. im trying to cut out the clutch purse pattern. the fabric is a bit slippery. plus regular printer paper probably isnt the best to use. im watching the tutorial on laying out the pieces now, hopefully ill get some good visuals from that

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

When I pin, I pin with the pin heads pointing away from the fabric and the pin points pointing toward the center.  If you’re pinning along the lines of the pattern, that might make small gathers happen which would account for  the fabric pieces not being the same size as your paper pattern.  Try pinning vertically and see if that makes things better for you.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Could be many things,  different fabrics stretch, are you c utting on the straight of grain.  But I have found that if you trace your thin paper pattern on thicker card stock (tape together file folders or card stock to the size needed).  By having a permanent heavy duty pattern, it will not shift, not to mention it will last. (for storage of pattern, punch a hole and hang on pegs or nails.  I think everyone has had this problem at least once  when they start sewing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.