Book Promo Banner
Corset Dress Question

Corset Dress Question

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Corset Dress Question

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m at the early stages of a very ambitious project–sewing my own wedding dress. I’ve figured out exactly what I want (which no one makes), and I’ve tried on wedding dresses to figure out what I like as it looks and feels on me. I’m still in my research stage as to material and construction, and I’ve hit a big question. I want to have the bodice of the dress be a corset with exposed boning. All of the patterns I’ve seen so far require you to cut the material into many pieces and then sew it all together. That is fine by me EXCEPT that I want the skirt to flow from the corset bodice without having a hard division line because of the seam between the bodice and the skirt. To put it another way, I don’t like the look of the corset dress where the bottom of the bodice forms a very noticeable V (or rounded) line where the bodice and skirt meet. Another relevant thing to note is that the skirt I am speaking of here will not be very long as I want it to be shorter and bunched or bustled up with a layered tulle skirt and train underneath. Is there a way to do the corset top with exposed boning and not have the hard division line between the bodice and skirt? Am I able to sew it in a way where I don’t have to have the material cut into many pieces? Any suggestions are appreciated.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I was only able to find one dress that didn’t have a separate bodice and skirt and it looked like this: https://butterick.mccall.com/b5184 This one, obviously, doesn’t have the exposed boning but I think that’s something to think about. I imagine you just want the boning in the corset only and not the full length of the dress. If this is the case, you’ll still need someway to make the bottom of the boning casing to look finished and I don’t know if it’ll look odd that the exposed boning just seems to stop without the division. Most corsets have princess seams, which means that the skirt part of the dress will also have princess seams if there’s not going to be a separate bodice. Princess seams really help with the shaping since there tends to be no darts. I wouldn’t recommend getting rid of these just to have less pieces. good luck! and please post a pic when you finish your dress.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.