Book Promo Banner
Combining Patterns

Combining Patterns

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Combining Patterns

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I have several skirt patterns and several designs within each pattern. My question is, are there some general rules to follow when try to merge elements of each into one pattern? For example, I’m currently working with New Look A6899. It contains a very full skirt with pockets and a not-quite-as-full version without pockets. I’m trying to combine the pocket aspect of the skirt with the skirt with less fullness. It is a pocket with facing (like a typical front jeans pockets) so there are some specific waistline design elements to consider.

Sometimes (not in this case but others) I find I really like the way the waist is set but the skirt at various points (maybe the hips or just the lines the way they fall, or the fullness etc.) is just off a little…BUT I have another pattern that is exactly how I’d like THAT portion to look/fit. Again, are there any general conditions specific to skirts (always long skirts, but I doubt that is a big deal). I’ve attempted it several times and something always seems to go wrong in the curves.

Also, are there any video tutorials on this type of thing? I’m LOVING the way you do your tutorials!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

We don’t have any tutorial on this subject yet. It’s difficult because you kind of have to do it on a case by case basis and there are so many variations. I will say this, if your element has darts, pleats or a similar element, you must close or fold those elements on your pattern and then you can have a better idea if another element is going to match smoothly or you’re going to have to make adjustments. That way you can tell if your pocket is going to fit right. Also, don’t be afraid of making your own pocket pattern. Use the other one as a guideline but change the dimensions, you can even change the shape that the pocket makes instead of having the traditional curve. Definitely make a muslin first so you can make sure things will be great before using more expensive fabric. You don’t have to get too involved, just baste the major pieces together so you can get a rough idea. You can combine two pieces (like your skirt example) but they have to be the same size and the same number of pieces. (if one skirt has 1 skirt front and another has 3 pieces making up the skirt front, it just starts getting complicating.) Lay the elements on top of each other with a game plan and use tracing paper to make a new pattern. Just make sure you create smooth lines between the two pattern pieces. I hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.