Book Promo Banner
Christmas Tree Skirt Advice

Christmas Tree Skirt Advice

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Christmas Tree Skirt Advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Erming
    Participant

I am going to make the Christmas tree skirt from you video of about 5 years ago. I just have a question before I start.

When I’ve made tree skirts before with three layers I’ve always quilted them to keep the layers in place which is very time consuming and can result in a puckered effect.

I notice that you don’t quilt your tree skirt and instead using a basting spray to secure the batting then just top stitch around the edge. I’d always thought basting sprays were only a temporary option, so would appreciate your advice on this.

The only other small query is what is the best ribbon to use for the ties. I plan to use a double faced satin ribbon, would this be ok?

Thank you so much for your help.

professorpincushion
    Participant

Hi! I’m so glad you’re going to make our tree skirt! 🙂 There are few options if you don’t want to use the basting spray (which I haven’t had an issue with bunching and I used this tree skirt last year for the holidays.) You can use fusible fleece, if your fabric can handle the high heat of the iron. Or you can do hand ties at intervals instead of machine quilting. For this, I use embroidery floss and go through all layers and hand tie a knot. It’s a little less noticeable. I think using double faced satin for your ribbon would be fine. 🙂 hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.