Book Promo Banner
Butterick 6090 swimsuit sewing pattern

Butterick 6090 swimsuit sewing pattern

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Butterick 6090 swimsuit sewing pattern

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi Professor,
    My sewing question is not about anything you have made on your website, it is about Butterick’s swimsuit sewing pattern number 6090. I am a G cup and the pattern only goes up to a DD cup have you got any idea how I can alter the pattern to fit me? Also, I want to put cups in the swimsuit for more support I can’t find cups in my size have you got any idea how I could make my own?
    Tracey Monica

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hmmm….it seems the difference between a dd and g cup is 2″. I tried pulling up the pattern so I can take a look and it seems like this one is discontinued but from what I can see, it looks like the bathing suit has princess seams (?) I don’t know if this will work, but this is where I would start…use the pivot method on our site to increase the bust but I would add it to the side front pattern piece only, adding a 1/2″ to the bustline area of side seam and front/side seam of this pattern. Therefore, in theory, you’ll be adding 2″ total to the front of the bathing suit. (definitely, make a muslin with cheaper bathing suit material though to see if you need to tweak this for a better fit.)
    I’ve never made bathing suit cups before but I imagine you can make your own. I know that JoAnn’s sells foam by the yard but I don’t know if their thinnest foam would be thin enough. I wouldn’t imagine you wouldn’t want something thicker than 1/8″ but it doesn’t hurt to look. You might have to sew a seam of some kind to give the cup shape and worse comes to worse, if you have an old bra you don’t mind sacrificing, you can also use the cups in that as well for your new bathing suit.
    Good luck! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi Professor,
    I do not think it is the princess side seams I need to adjust the pattern has a inner bra pattern piece (shelf what goes inside camisoles for extra support) what only goes up to a D cup and I am a G cup how do I alter this to make it fit would I add length to the bottom and sides of it?
    Tracey Monica

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hmmm….If there’s no princess seam, you can just add the inches to the side seam area only. For the inner lining piece I would just add 1″ to side seam, so that will give you 2″ total to the front circumference. If it were me, I would also extend the bottom length. Maybe start with an 1″ and cut out a muslin of just the lining to see how it covers. I hope it works out for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.