Book Promo Banner
Bottom piece too big for yolk

Bottom piece too big for yolk

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Bottom piece too big for yolk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello, Im now working on Simplicity pattern # 2147. Ive got all pieces sewn together, but Im at the part where the yolk joins the tunic. When I put the pieces together they dont fit. Ive matched the proper areas, but it wont fit. I thought your video would help me to fix my problem, but it doesnt. Do I need to sew a bigger seam in the sides? I did 5/8″ on both sides, except on the yold, it says 3/8″ Do I need to make the pleats bring it in more? IM not sure what to do at this point. Please help. Thank you!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

It depends on how much you have extra. I’ve had these type of issues before so you are not alone! Before I start trying to take in seams, I try to do fabric easing. So you will match up all your seams and notches and then try and ease the fabric to fit in between. You can see me to a demonstration of this here: https://www.professorpincushion.com/professorpincushion/fabric-easing/ Sometimes it doesn’t seem like it’ll work but you’d be surprised. Hope this helps! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I watched the video and found it very helpful, thank you. I think I can make it work in the underarm area, but not so sure on the front and back pieces, there’s just too much. I’ve included two photos and I hope their clear enough for you to see. Before I move on I will go as far as re-read the instructions, place the plattern back on my material to check for sizing and may even pleat the pattern piece to check to see if I have same problem. Things like this drive me nuts! I’m not the best sewer, but I try my best and I don’t do well with hiccups. I still feel I’ve done something wrong. Could my pleating be off? Could it be something else. I just don’t see how it went this wrong.

Sorry for the duplication of photos…the 1st ones were upside down. There should only be three photos.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

sorry to hear about your frustration. 🙁 Have you gone over and compared it to the original pattern? I checked my version of this dress and it doesn’t seem like I had this issue. I can see the pleats in your images but can’t tell if you have them on both the front and the back. The ones I can see, do look correct. If possible, try on the yoke piece and make sure it fits. If you go over the patterns and you did everything correct, you have a couple of different options to correct this and get back to making your dress. You can make your pleats a little larger to take away some of the excess. Or you can leave the pleats you have, sew a couple of basting stitches at the top, pull these threads to create more of a gather at the top until everything fits. If you do the second option, be sure to distribute the gather evenly so it looks even across the whole thing. I love the fabric you picked out and hope you can finish your dress!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Last night I did go over and compare my fabric pieces to the original pattern and everything is exactly the same. I pleated my pattern and laid the pattern on top of the front/back pieces and the pleats matched exactly. Yes, Image #1 is the pleated front piece and the back is exactly the same. In Image #2 I tried to show how big the gap is between the notches/pins on the front and back pieces. Image #3 is the arm pit area. I think I like the idea of making the pleats larger and and I think I’ll try that. That also gave me the idea that I could also possibly add an additional pleat on each side (have 8 total each side instead of 6). The pleating is where I though I messed up, but after going over instructions the 2nd time I found I did exactly like the instructions stated. At that point is where I found your video. 🙂 And after watching that, it only confirmed to me that I was actually doing it correctly. So in a few hours, I will get back to it and see what I can do to get this finished up. Thank you so much so far for your help. I do feel much more confident in getting this completed. BTW, I was a bit worried about using the fabric I used. I tend to stick to fabric w/out stripes and things, so this is a change for me. So thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.