Book Promo Banner
Boning problem

Boning problem

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Boning problem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

HI there, so I completed the boned bodice for my dress using the boning required by the pattern, however, for the bone that is supposed to support the centre point of the bodice, it doesn’t stay straight, but curves up. 🙁 I assume that if i had used spiral steel boning it would not have done this and would have been more sturdy, but I followed the pattern to the letter! 🙂 So, what can I do now? Replace the offending boning with steel?, use an extra boning strip over the top of the existing? or perhaps attach a hidden weight to the point to hold the point down? Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Did you use the plastic boning? I had the issue when I used it for creating my bustier of the steampunk costume where it maintained it’s curved shape so at rest it curved inward. Drove me crazy because it look like I was making an outfit for a basketball or something. But when I tried it on, it was flexible enough that it automatically took my shape and looked great. After wearing it a few times, it settled and would lie much flatter, even at rest. If it’s curving inward then it’s probably in right. If it’s curving outward (away from your body) the boning may be in upside down. I don’t have any information re: steel boning because I’ve never worked with it before. But if you figure it out, let me know what your trick was. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

there’s a right way to inserting boning? ,lol

eek.
    it curves outwards, and i had great problems with all the boning curving the wrong way until i tamed it by making the channels really tight, but the one in the middle just wants to pop up and out at the bottom.

ok, I’ll have to have a think and get back to you. Thanks! Glad I’m not the only one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.