Book Promo Banner
Bondaweb

Bondaweb

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Bondaweb

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

My dad has asked me to turn up the sleeve ends of a casual jacket using bondaweb. I have never used it before and I am worried about getting it wrong. The jacket is 100% polyester. I know you have to iron it on but I am worried about burning the polyester. Also Is there a rule of thumb for the correct sleeve length? Can anyone help me please?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I haven’t used this brand before but it seems like your standard fusible webbing. According to their manufacturers website, it can be used on almost all fabrics and be fused at lower temperatures, so it should work on polyester. It’s main use is for appliques, which are not only fused but also reinforced with stitches around the perimeter. Years ago, I was in a hurry to finish a costume and, because I was running out of time, I decided to use something similar to iron up the hem instead of stitching it. It was fast, easy and I was quite impressed. After a few hours of wearing the costume though, my hem decided started to come undone. Maybe I didn’t have my heat set at a high enough setting but, for me, nothing beats sewing especially if it’s going to have a lot of wear. Just have your dad be aware that it might not be as permanent as he would like. But if it does last forever, let me know. 🙂
    As for sleeve length, have you’re dad try it on, fold under until it’s the length that he likes it, and put in a couple of pins to hold it. You only need to do this for one sleeve and then you can measure the alteration length and just copy it for the other one.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks so much, you’ve been really helpful !!!!!! I was panicking a bit cos it’s different when you work on your own clothes,… I wouldn’t be happy if the sleeves started to come unstuck !! Also, Thanks for the advice on how to pin the sleeves up, and I guess I can use a measuring gauge to make sure the turn up is consistent all the way round. He’s got two of these jackets so I better get patient with the needle and thread :-).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.