Book Promo Banner
Best type of sewing machine

Best type of sewing machine

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Best type of sewing machine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello I just found your site online and signed up. I have never sewn before (on a machine that is), but have always wanted to be able to do a couple DIY projects for the bathroom and bedroom especially. What type of sewing machine would you recommend? I need something that works for a beginner but also one that I can use when I sharpen by skills to make drapes etc. Name, model, where to buy would be helpful.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello! I’m so glad you want to take up sewing as a new hobby. I must admit that I’m not a sewing machine expert as I’ve been using the same sewing machine for about 15 years now. I think the big thing is figuring out how much you want to spend on a machine and what to do you want to sew. If you just want to make curtains and hem pants, you can get by with a basic machine for under $100 because you’ll pretty much just be using a straight stitch. If you find a basic machine that does straight stitch, zig zag, and buttonhole that’s pretty much all you’ll use for the majority of the time, so you don’t really have to invest that much. If you have a JoAnn’s with a separate sewing machine department (one in which there are machines you can talk to someone about and test drive) that’s a great way to get information and actually try the machine first. Also, I would check sites like overstock.com. They have great prices and you can read reviews from actual owners and see which one sounds great to you. Even if you don’t purchase through overstock, (or a similar online store), it’ll at least give you an idea on high rating machines. (Another thing I like about overstock is the option to get refurbished machines. I’ve gotten refurbished items from them before and they worked great, plus you can usually get more bang for your buck.) Another great place to look, if you don’t mind a used machine or don’t have a lot of money, is checking your local craigslist. Some expensive machines brands are Pfaff, Bernina, and Husqvarna so even if you find one that’s used, it’s probably still a great machine as they tend to be built really well and may just need some love. Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.