Book Promo Banner
Beginner ! What is a Fitting Shell; Where do I buy one; How to make a muslin ?

Beginner ! What is a Fitting Shell; Where do I buy one; How to make a muslin ?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Beginner ! What is a Fitting Shell; Where do I buy one; How to make a muslin ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello again..! My name is Serena; I’m still fairly new to sewing, although I like to up cycle my own clothing to make my creations “shabby chic”;
    My question is; What is a “Fitting Shell”, and where do I buy one..? Do all sewing patterns come with a “fitting shell”, and how do you know if your sewing pattern envelope has one in it..?
    And what is a “Muslin”, and how do I make one..?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hi there, here’s an example of the fitting shell. http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m2718-products-726.php?page_id=528 I’ve never seen one in the store so you might have to order it online. It’s to help you figure out your body type and also what kind of adjustments you may to make to regular patterns to get a perfect fit. They should include instructions to help you. They don’t come with your patterns but instead they just have a generic fitting shell.
    A muslin is a test run of your pattern. You don’t have to use muslin fabric just a cheap fabric that’s similar in type to what you’d use for your final garment. So if your pattern requires a knit, you use a knit fabric in your test run. You do the test run to test the fit so you can make any changes before using your more expensive fabric. You can make a muslin with any project and, because you’ve already done it once, the final project should be a breeze. Hope this answers your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.