Book Promo Banner
Attach fringe to jersey

Attach fringe to jersey

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Attach fringe to jersey

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years, 7 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thanks so much for this website! The Jersey Knit video was super helpful! I wanted to ask if you can please guide me on what is the best way to attach some kind of a fringe or ribbon to stretchy jersey knit fabric?

Is it a good idea to let the tape of the fringe show, or is there a nicer way to hide it?

I was thinking of possibly making scarves with the soft jersey fabric, and some embellishments would be nice 🙂

Thank you so much!!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

If I’m understanding you correctly, you want to sew on a premade fringe trim to the edges of jersey? I’m not saying you can’t do this, but just realize that once you do sew fringe, ribbon, or a similar trim, you’ll pretty much lose the fabric’s stretch at the hemline. Also, if the trim, like fringe, is weighty, it could stretch the scarf in unexpected ways. A different option is to make your scarfs extra wide and then cutting the jersey’s hemline into strips to create it’s own fringe look. This is time consuming, but, since jersey doesn’t fray, the edge doesn’t have to be finished and I think it looks pretty cool if done neatly. (maybe use a rotary cutter and ruler for precise cutting.) Plus, you won’t have to worry about any of the issues I brought up above. For sewing on premade fringe check out this tutorial: https://www.professorpincushion.com/professorpincushion/fringe/ If you don’t want to see the top of the fringe trim, you can always sew on a decorative ribbon over it. good luck!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yes 🙂 That is correct! Since I am planning to do scarves, I was wondering what would be the best way to quickly and easily attach a trim. The fringe video really helped, thank you so much!!!! I am going to try that technique and see how it works out!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.