Book Promo Banner
Adjustments

Adjustments

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Adjustments

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years, 7 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

How to adjust a patern if my hips is smaller and the waist is correct on the pattern.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

It seems like you answered your own question. If you’re making something like a skirt or pants, the pattern companies suggest you choose the size based on your hip measurement and then you can use the same method to increase the waist size.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, what do you mean, “then you can use the same method to increase the waist size?”

I am having much difficulty with choosing the correct pattern size for skirts and to get dresses to fit in the waist due to my waist measurement is larger than my hip measurement on the final pattern measurements. Example: my measurements = Waist – 35 hips – 40. I have to use a size 18 to fit my waist of a 35 but the hip measurement ends up being a 43. I must alter all garments for that extra fabric from hip to down. If I get a size 16 to fit my hips as you mention above, it will be way too tight in the waist. Can you assist me with this situation?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Ok, in continuation with above, I viewed your video of how to increase Waist pattern alteration. I understood the info., but when I looked for the waist measurement on my pattern there is no waist measurement (this is for a maxi dress with the bodice and lower dress). If I don’t have a waist measurement how can I increase the waist measurement for my pattern?

I also require a decrease alteration in a hip measurement. So, I would need to do both. I always have to alter my garment for hip measurement at the completion of my project.

My measurements are Bust: 40 Waist: 35 Hips: 40

My maxi dress size 16 Bust size: 40 1/2 Hips: 43 1/2

*Waist always too snug and hips always way big iin size 16 but is closest size for my measurements.

Any help is appreciated!

T-Lee

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

@T-Lee, have you tried this pattern before? I agree that it’s weird that they do not list a waist measurement, but with maxi dresses, they’re usually very flow-y past the bottom of the bust and the fit of the bust area may be the most crucial part. (If it’s fitted to the waistline area, you might want to contact the pattern company and see if this is an accidental omission.) I don’t know what pattern you selected but a size 16 might be doable without alterations just based on the style of the dress and with built in design ease. You can always do a basted muslin just to see if you do need to do alterations and it’ll should give you a better idea before using more expensive fabric.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.