Book Promo Banner
1950S VINTAGE SHIRT JACKET: Shoulders Not Lining Up With Front Panels – Help

1950S VINTAGE SHIRT JACKET: Shoulders Not Lining Up With Front Panels – Help

Home Page Forums Ask A Question 1950S VINTAGE SHIRT JACKET: Shoulders Not Lining Up With Front Panels – Help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SewLoveIt
    Participant

Hello – Novice Sewer here.

I am currently trying to sew a 1950s Shirt Jacket, Simplicity 2273. I followed the directions but somehow I ended up with my Front Panel shoulders wider than my yoke. Not sure what happened. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attached are photos of my “dilemma”. I included the instructions, including instructions for the collar too just in case it helps to see what I am dealing with. The collar has no collar stand; just under collar and upper collar. I also noticed that on the cover envelope there seems to be gathering on the shoulder instead of darts as instructed in the instructions for the front panels.

You will notice that I attached a flannel lining to the shirt. As this is for one of my BFF’s mother, I want to make sure it’s nice a warm for her. If I have to undo the darts in the front panel then I will need to break up the stitching where I attached the flannel liner; no biggie, just more work. But more work = more experience and knowledge……..right??? 😉

Attaching the yoke and yoke facing onto the back panel was no problem but when I try to attach my front panel shoulders to my yoke shoulders the front panel extends out over an inch on both sides; beyond the yoke.

I’m finding vintage patterns a bit of a challenge but fun. LOL

Any advice is highly welcomed. Really could use your help.
    Carmen

Attachments:
    professorpincushion
    Participant

sorry! I thought I had answered this but maybe I typed it up and forgot to hit the actual submit button. D: Regardless, I apologize for seeming to ignore you. I actually haven’t sewn much with vintage patterns so I don’t know what the typical process is. I would pinch the dart closed, with straight pins, on the actual pattern pieces and try and line up the shoulder seams with the patterns. If you’re seeing the same issue, then it’s likely done on purpose and I’d just make sure my marks are lines up correctly and then move forward. Sometimes things become clearer at a later step.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.