Book Promo Banner
Reply To: Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Reply To: Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line Reply To: Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

the_professors_assistant
Keymaster

Okay…  The facing you’re working with is the flap of fabric that goes on the inside of the dress at the neckline.  You probably have some dresses or blouses that have the same thing.  Most facings create a clean edge at an opening.  Ultimately, you will sew the neckline facing to the dress neckline and fold it in side the dress so the seam between the facing and the dress neckline is a nice, smooth edge. Interfacing (loosely translated to inside the facing) gives the facing structure so when it’s folded in, it stays in place while the outside of the dress neckline can be fluid. You did the interfacing correctly.  You should have the interfacing ironed onto the wrong side of the facing.  Not sure what the deal is with the picture. I hope I can explain this clearly.  Please ask questions if I’m not making sense. When you hold the facing up to the dress, the top of the facing will line up with the neckline correctly.  The bottom of the facing will be the longer curve and the top part is the smaller curve that fits around your neck.  Look at the pattern piece for the small dot and mark the inside of the facing where you ironed on the interfacing where the small dot should be.  Put the right sides of the front facing together (sounds like there are 2 front facing pieces) and stitch the center seam up to the small dot.  Leave the rest (from the small dot to the top of the facing) open. You will stitch the shoulder seams of the front facing to the back facing.  Just like with the center facing seam, make sure the right sides of the facings are together for stitching. The unnotched edge is probably the longer curve which is the bottom of the facing.  Edge stitching keeps the fabric from fraying and keeps the inside of your neckline with a clean edge.  You will stitch 1/4″ from the bottom edge.  Then, fold (an iron is helpful) along the stitching line so WRONG sides are together and stitch as close to the finished edge where you folded along the stitching line is.  Sounds like hell, I know! I know you’re in the middle of doing this but a couple of easier ways to do this.  The simplest is to use a serger and just serge that unfinished edge.  I don’t have a serger so I use bias tape.  It’s easier than folding and stitching and looks nicer.   You can buy bias tape or make it yourself. Let us know how you’re doing and don’t be shy.  Ask away.  We’re all learning something all the time. Sorry if this is too much at one time.