Book Promo Banner
Reply To: Burda Pattern #108 Culottes- Mag issue 12/2014

Reply To: Burda Pattern #108 Culottes- Mag issue 12/2014

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Burda Pattern #108 Culottes- Mag issue 12/2014 Reply To: Burda Pattern #108 Culottes- Mag issue 12/2014

the_professors_assistant
Keymaster

And while on the subject of these culottes, may I segue onto another question regarding fabric? So I uploaded some images of a fabric that I originally planned on using for these culottes (and which I’ve never sewn with before). I’m not sure what this material would be called really. The photos are a terrible resolution but if you can make it out, I would describe it as a crinkly pattern velvet feeling silky slippery fabric. It was originally very pretty until I started working with it. You really can’t see the true beauty of this fabric as when I purchased it, because I ironed it all out. = ( I feel like I ruined and removed the exact thing that made this fabric special. But my question really is, “How do you work with fabric types like these that are very crinkly and the wrinkle is part of the fabric’s integrity when you have to cut patterns out and everything needs to be even? Without ironing I feel like the pieces just wouldn’t be cut out accurately or on the straight grain or match up properly, but now all the personality is gone and I’m not sure what the process would be to bring it back to it’s old shape (if that’s even possible). The crinkles seemed to follow some sort of pattern. I tried wetting a scrap of the fabric and then crumpling it up to see if I could return it to it’s original cool look, to no avail.